A Medicare Advantage Plan (MA) covers everything MediCare does, as a minimum, plus additional benefits. Some general points about these plans which are purchased from private companies:
● Each company has a yearly contract with Medicare, is paid a fixed monthly payment for each person who enrolls, and administers all of a person's medical treatment.
● They usually include coverage for medications and are then called a MAPD.
● Companies (usually ) charge a monthly cost based on the amount of the individual's cost sharing and their annual maximum.
● Which plans can be purchased is based on the County a person lives in. Some MA companies have plans in CT but do not offer all options or any in New London County.
● Plans cover annual physicals not in original MediCare and usually offer or provide options to buy benefits such as fitness, dental, vision, and hearing.
● All treatment is received from providers in the companies network.
● A co-pay is usually paid at each MD visit and some services have cost sharing.
● A person's annual co-pay and cost sharing costs are limited with a Maximum Out of Pocket (MOP) provision. Plans with a higher monthly cost may have a lower MOP.
● MediCare sets the MOP limit each year ($6,700 in 2019 ) and companies use it or a lower amount in their plans.
● Individuals may receive higher quality care in a Medicare Advantage plan since all their medical treatment and medication coverage is coordinated for better outcomes.
● A person can normally only change their MA coverage during the 10/15 to 12/7 Annual Election Period for the next Jan. 1st. Federal regulations establish the periods of time when a person can apply for a MAPD plan.
● They are of interest to many because of the extra benefits and the monthly cost is (often ) more economical than a MediGap plan plus a stand alone Part D plan.
● A recent study by the Better Medicare Alliance found — "individuals in private MA plans had one-third fewer ER visits and 23% fewer stays in a hospital than those in traditional fee for service Medicare."
Call or Text John C Parker's Google Voice # — (860) 451-9793 for an appointment. Discussion in a (no cost to you ) meeting will be on how a Medicare Advantage Plan in Southeastern Connecticut works, protects income & savings, and provides peace of mind.
● If a qualified enrollment period is available we can discuss the MAPD plans in New London County and select one which fits your budget best.
● All implementation details will be taken care of.
BTW - you can also send a note with questions to - Learn@JohnCParker.agency
The Medicare-Health-Plans-Southeastern-CT content is copyrighted © 2018 to 2019 by John C Parker, RHU, LTCP - All Rights Reserved.