● When turning 65 [Medicare calls it eligible] and want to apply the most effective way is at your Local Social Security (SS) office. *
* Why? - Surveys report incorrect information was received at times when people called the SS 800 # !
● Ask for an appointment with a retirement person to:
+ complete the Part A & B application,
+ review options to pay your share of Part B's cost - $135 in 2019
+ select the option you want to use,
+ review their informative charts on when to start SS.
● When sign up is complete MediCare considers the person entitled.
Note: ID cards show the entitled date.
Worked past 65 - the steps to sign up are:
● Call the Local SS office for an appointment with a retirement person to complete the Part A & B application.
● Select how to pay Part B's cost if not also signing up for SS.
● Ask during the meeting for Form CMS-L564 and take it to your employer.
● When dates covered by the company medical benefit plan are filled in, it's signed, take it back.
● The Form approves the Special Enrollment Period to sign up and means you avoid having to pay a late enrollment penalty.
Federal regulations limit the times a person can apply for Medicare Part A and Part B to the specific periods on this page!
MDs and other providers who participate are paid just 80% of the amount MediCare approved for each Part B Outpatient treatment or procedure they provide. Thus, you have to pay 20%.
An important point: So much medical treatment and professional service is now Outpatient so paying 20% in a complex situation can quickly be very expensive !
What to do? To offset this Big potential Risk to income & savings Buy what I call a Medicare Health Plan. You can find the value of owning either of these special insurance plans on the red text pages:
● Medicare Supplement in CT or
● Medicare Advantage Plan in Southeastern CT
Each type has options so you can select the best plan for your personal situation and budget.
Beware of ads saying - call - you can get better coverage!
Why? You can't sign up for a Medicare Health Plan at any time because federal regulations limit times to these enrollment periods?
Instead: Call today to answer your question on rules for enrollment or making changes. Use my Google Voice (860) 451-9793)
New MediCare ID cards:
If you did not receive a card this page has information on what to do. It also has a picture for those not yet 65.
FYI - old cards can be used the rest of 2019.
Some think - I take care of myself so a change in health won't happen! That would be nice - But:
● No one can say an accident or change in health won't happen!
● The chance something will is significant!
● Use the form below to send a note or
● Call/text (my Google Voice (860) 451-9793) today for an appointment. We can discuss how buying either a:
+ CT Medicare Supplement or
+ a Medicare Advantage Plan available in Southeastern CT.
means you will be in control of any medical treatment expenses.
The focus when meeting will be on your situation, interests, and plans not just to review plan details.
Note: Taking time means a more informed decision can be made on the right plan for you.
It's OK after talking to say — now is not the right time.
If or when an eligible enrollment period is available then all the details of implementing the selected plan are taken care of.
BTW - you can also send questions to - Learn@JohnCParker.agency
John C Parker, a professional health insurance advisor in Niantic CT, is licensed (CT #644135) to conduct business in CT and does not solicit or sell in other states.
The Medicare-Health-Plans-Southeastern-CT content is copyrighted © 2018 to 2019 by John C Parker, RHU, LTCP - All Rights Reserved.